Home »

Double Glazing Knowledge



Local Authority Building Control

Installers who choose not to be a part of an approved competent persons scheme, like Fensa or Certass still have to register the work they have done, was in accordance with the building regulations.

They are free to use the services of their Local Authority.

Sometimes, where planning permissions are needed (in addition to Building Regulation compliance) it makes sense to have the local authority check every thing, but they will check building regulation compliance only, just like Fensa or Certass.

As each Authority is a separate body it is more difficult to establish a membership number, but again reputable companies will demonstrate they able to register installations via your local authority.


Just like Fensa or Certass, local authorities are only interested in building regulation compliance issues.

Ask if the installer is also a member of other trade bodies, like the Glass and Glazing Federation, the British Plastic Association, British Woodworking Association, an ombudsman scheme, or if they belong to a national network that provide additional protection.